ABUSE BETWEEN PARENTS AND IT’S EFFECT ON CHILDREN
HOW CHILDREN FEEL WHEN ABUSE IS OCCURRING BETWEEN PARENTS
because they can’t stop the abuse
at Dad for hurting Mom
for themselves and other family members
by the situation, often leading to poor school performance and avoiding friends
believing that they somehow caused the abuse
because they feel a need to solve the problem but only end up getting hurt when they try to help
ISOLATED / INSECURE
often making up excuses so they don’t have to go home
blaming mom that somehow it was her fault
because parents may try to get children to choose sides
DISHONEST / EMBARRASSED
because they make up excuses to family and friends for mom’s bruises
BASIC SAFETY TIPS AND STRATEGIES TO TEACH YOUR KIDS
- Memorize their name and address including City, Province and Country
- Be able to use both push-button and dial telephones to make emergency, local and long distance calls and to reach the operator
- To check in with you or a neighbor immediately after arriving home
- To never go into your home if a door is ajar or a window is broken
- How to work your home’s door and window locks and to lock them when they are at home alone.
- How to arm and disarm your alarm system along with your password
- To never go into anyone else’s home without your permission.
- Never to go anywhere with another adult, even one who says you have sent him or her. Adopt a family code word to be used if you have to ask a third party to pick up your children
- To avoid walking or playing alone.
- That a stranger is someone neither you nor they know well.
- That if they are being followed either on foot or by car, to run to the nearest public place or neighbor.